Thursday, June 9, 2011

Where Does the Time Go?

Well, here I am...48 hours away from beginning my Icelandic adventure...and I haven't packed. I haven't even done laundry. Not exactly my style. I'm sort of a plan ahead kind of girl. Apparently I've spent too much time making lists of things to do and not actually getting anything done. I am buried in Post-It note 'To Do' lists, but the check marks are adding up slowly. And now,"Start a Blog" has pushed some of the big ticket items such as "Packing" down a few notches.

This trip is something I have been looking forward to since the moment I got back from my first trip to Iceland, maybe even before. 6 weeks in Iceland? Dream come true. Sign me up. Saturday at 7:20pm I'll fly out of Minneapolis and by 6:20am Sunday morning (Iceland time) I'll be on Day 1 of what looks to be an amazing summer. Two weeks in Reykjavik taking language and culture classes, 3 weeks staying with cousins in Fáskrúðsfjörður, and the last week on a whirlwind tour of the country. Pretty awesome.

A gift from my cousin Jackie gave me the idea for the name of the blog. I got a beautiful vegvisir charm from her as a graduation/Iceland trip present (Thanks, Jackie!). Vegvisir means "sign post" or "see the way" in Icelandic. The vegvisir symbol is the Viking compass and is said to prevent one from getting lost, and to help them find their way home. Not that I feel like I'll be in any hurry to get back to Minnesota at the end of the 6 weeks, but...I like the meaning all the same.

I'll do my best to keep this thing updated as I travel. If past journal attempts are any indication it might be sort of spotty, but I'll give it my all.

5 comments:

  1. This is great. I will be following you every day. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got help and I have an account! I will be checking often! Have a great time, Mal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time Mallory! We will be following your big adventure!!

    ReplyDelete