Saturday, June 25, 2011

Snorri Program- Part 2

My flight to Egilsstaðir in the East

Reykjavik from the air

Driving into Fáskrudsfjördur

Family church

Sheep rescue mission, commenced.



Well, I was able to part from my fellow Snorris without having a complete meltdown, but it was a near thing. I was more than a little heartbroken to have us all be splitting up for a whole 3 weeks while we go and stay with family. There was a solid sense of security among each other, not to mention a pile of good memories from the past 2 weeks. I have to say, I can't wait to see them all again when we reunite in 3 weeks.
I got to Egilsstaðir yesterday with no problems at all. The plane was small, but not as small as I had feared. In my head, I was imagining myself and the pilot crammed in a plane large enough to hold him, me, and maybe a couple of sheep. That, thankfully was not the case. There were probably about 50 or more people on the flight and there was hardly a bump the whole time we were in the air. There were some breathtaking views from the air as well. I was met at the airport by my cousin Thorhildur. I met her little son, and apparently he told her later that he loves me. Mallory Swanson, charmer of 6 year olds across the globe. She is one of the adult daughters of the couple I am staying with, Elísa and Stefán. I got a tour around the town after the 45 minute or so drive into Fáskrudsfjördur and then went to the shop where my family works to meet them. They are very nice, all of them. I spent the afternoon with another one of Elísa and Stefán´s daughters, Bogga, and her 11 year old son, Stefan Alex. I had a great dinner with them and then Bogga and her husband drove me around to look at some of the old family farmsteads in the area. It is absolutely gorgeous here on the coast. There are sheep everywhere, and at one of the farms we stopped at we had to rescue a lamb that had gotten caught in a fence. Rescue team! Yeah!
We got back to Elísa and Stefán´s house and had an impromptu coffee party at about 11:30 at night. I was dead on my feet, so when it was bedtime I was out like a light. I mananged to oversleep due to having set my alarm in a sleep deprived stupor last night, so that was less than ideal this morning. No harm done though. Bogga is going to pick me up at noon and I´m going with her family to Egilsstaðir where there is a festival of sorts. Something about free food for all, so I said I was all for it.
I think it will be an adjustment being here alone, where some of my family do not speak English at all, and others not very much. I wish we had been able to do more than 8 days of language classes before leaving Reykjavik, but I know even another month (or 6) would not have been enough for me to be competent in Icelandic. I toss words and phrases out occassionally and am mostly met with confused looks. But I will keep trying. Makes me wish I had my Snorris by my side to keep up with our studies.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Mallory. You will be fine after a few days of being without the other Snorris! Very tough to be in a situation where lots of the group doesn't speak the same language, though. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very best way to learn any language is to just be tossed into it and try to survive. Sounds like that is what you are up to. Think of yourself as Leighton, working overtime to figure things out and learning new words every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already found that I am able to follow conversations a little bit better. I understand way more than I can speak, which is typical of language learning initially. The family is very nice and I am adjusting fine I think. Tomorrow I start work, and that will be a whole different thing to get used to!

    ReplyDelete