Thursday, June 23, 2011

On to the Next Grand Adventure






Tomorrow I will be taking a tiny little plane across the country to Egilsstadir. Once there my family will allegedly be picking me up at the airport and driving me to their home in Faskrudsfjordur. (Keep in mind that my nook does not have the copy/paste abilities for me to add in the correct accents and pronunciations to these places names. Or at least, I have no idea how to make that happen). I will have the weekend to get to know my family and settle in and then I start work on Monday. I will be working at the local bank branch in the mornings and at my family's shop in the afternoons. I think it will be really cool, especially since one of my cousins works at the bank and I guess is not too far from my age.
These last couple days with the Snorris have been great. We had our language classes and some other interesting lectures and tours, including the National Museum yesterday. Dad, this place was right up your alley. We will have to make a trip back there. Tons of cool stuff and I made sure
not to look at anything too closely so I didn't get sick of it. I also made a culture-filled trip to the mall and got to go on an interesting visit to the Canadian Embassy. They had good snacks.
Tonight we had a BBQ at Asta Sol's house (lamb chops!) and then went to feed the ducks at the pond with the leftover toast that Stefan made for Icelandic Night last night. I tossed my camera into the pond on a particularly enthusiastic bread toss. Whoops. Due to my lightening fast reflexes I was able to fish it out and remove the battery quickly. Let's all cross our fingers that it makes it through with no ill effects. Speaking of ill effeccts, there was a glorious array of traditional and popular Icelandic foods for us to eat at Icelandic Night yesterday. I ate sheep's head jelly, hangikot. Icelandic cheeses and candy, skyr, brown bread, and rotted shark. All chased down with a healthy dose of Brennevin. Gah. It was something else, I tell you.
Well, I'm gonna call this good for now. I want to spend a few more minutes with my friends before we are scattered to the 4 Icelandic winds in the morning. Sooooo sad!

3 comments:

  1. Mallory-I can't believe you ate sheeps' head..ICK. You used to kiss the minnows in the bucket, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to give it a shot. I was not brave enough to eat the eye like some of my group though. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On to the next great adventure Mal!

    ReplyDelete