Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ohhhhhh Noooooooo! So-ree!





Hi! Coming at you again from Reykjavik, this time on the eve of Iceland's National Day. June 17th is the equivalent of America's 4th of July...sort of. We have been warned not to venture into downtown alone tomorrow as things can get a little rowdy when 60,000 Reykjavik residents and plenty of tourists and out of towners coming streaming into the city. That shouldn't be a problem, as we all tend to stick pretty close together. We even have a team name. The Goose Pack, as we have been referring to ourselves (not sure which Snorri came up with that gem of a moniker) was named in part from our thus far successful avoidance of the goose poop minefield that we have to cross walking by the Tjorn every morning. It is a dangerous world out there.
Today we had class and then I went shopping with Asta Sol, Theo and George. We got groceries for the weekend, simm cards for those that needed better phone connections and I bought a 66 Degrees North jacket that I had been lusting after. I have no regrets. That jacket and I were made for each other. We had dinner at a local bar where we stuck out like sore thumbs, but had great burgers and then had movie night at the Snorri Office. I made it about 20 minutes before passing out cold. All I know about the movie is that it was in Icelandic and it ended with a wedding in the middle of the ocean that hinted strongly of unhappiness to come for what I assume were the main characters. It is difficult to read subtitles whilst asleep so there is a lot of guesswork involved in my analysis of the plot.
Aside from the little details I think it is important to note that we are not necessariky becoming more Icelandic in our time here, but we are all getting a lot more Canadian. Though the USers outnumber the Canadians in the group their powers are obviously greater than ours as we have all been saying a lot of "Ohhhhh Noooooo," and "So-ree!." For those of you that spend time with me on a daily basis, consider this a warning, but not an apology. I'll let you know how National Day goes. My goal is to make it out with all 10 toes intact, and maybe some rockin' facepaint.

2 comments: