Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I climbed a mountain, no big deal.









I climbed Mt. Esja today. It was the size of, well... a mountain and as a result I'm a bit tired. It was beautiful and exhilerating, and painful. I'm glad I made it all the way to the top, but the way I figure it none of us will be able to move tomorrow. Going down was worse than climbing up somehow and my legs were weak by the time I got down to flat ground again. Could be an interesting walk to and from school tomorrow. We had class from 9-3 which included language, culture and history lectures. Then came the juicy part that we had all been waiting for. We got a little background information on the keeping of ancestry information in Iceland over the centuries (the whys and hows) including the latest news on the Islendingabok (The book of Icelanders). We found out how we are connected to famous Icelanders (I am 8 generations back from sharing a common ancestor with Bjork, for example, which makes us some sort of distant cousins). All of us Snorris are connected somewhere between 4 and 10 generations back which makes some of us pretty connected cousins, and all of us cousins if you trace way back. Neat. I might think of more details to add tomorrow but right now I have to succumb to exhaustion.

No comments:

Post a Comment